Pregnancy and Birth as a Natural Process: With Numerous Physiological Changes
Chiropractors are concerned with the expression of the optimal potential of all individuals. This is achieved by manifestation of our full innate capabilities and maximizing our adaptation in the world.
Chiropractic care in pregnancy is vital to the correction of vertebral subluxation in the mother, increasing both her and her child’s inborn potential for well-being. It is also imperative in removing in-utero constraint to the uterus caused by vertebral subluxation.
In the mother:
- Relaxes the muscles and ligaments of the mother’s pelvis.
- Restores neural integrity to the mother’s uterus and cervix.
- Prepares the pelvis for easier delivery reducing unfavourable effects on the woman’s pelvis.
To the infant:
- Allows the baby the room to resume proper position in-utero removing undo stress to the fetus’ spine because of malposition.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in birth trauma caused by intervention.
- Birth trauma is an under reported event and a leading cause of VSC.
Understanding in-utero constraint requires the understanding of:
- Maternal pervic anatomy
- Maternal physiology throughout pregnancy
- Fetal intrauterine position and presentation
- The phases of labor and the mechanisms of birth